Message from Desert Recreation District:
It’s those moments that make lasting memories when you bring a camera and capture them. Join us at one of our Desert Recreation District (DRD) Winter Activities listed below.
- SANTA’S HOTLINE – NEW Telephone Number – Parents make note to save Santa’s new phone number. Kids, have your wish list ready and talk to Santa, Mrs. Claus, one of his reindeer or maybe even an elf. Santa’s Hotline is open from December 12 – 14, 5 – 9 p.m. PST. Call 1-855-SANTA-4-KIDS (1-855-726-8245).
- CANDY CANE LANES & POT LUCK – All the yummy holiday treats to enjoy like cookies, candy canes, and more. Activities, games, and contests for all ages!
o Oasis Community Center in Oasis– Sat, Dec 2, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
o Jerry Rummonds’ Senior & Community Center, Thermal – Fri, Dec 8, 3 – 5 p.m.
o North Shore Beach & Yacht Club in North Shore – Sat, Dec 16, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
o Pot Luck at Indio Hills Community Center – Fri, Dec 15, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- HOLIDAY FOOD & GIFT DRIVE Now through December 18 – Bring a smile to a child’s face and a sigh of relief to families in need this holiday season by donating. Turn frowns upside-down by bringing a canned food item, new toy (unwrapped) or a blanket to any DRD Community Center during regular operating hours – no cash donations, please. PLEASE DONATE TODAY!
- HOLIDAY BREAK 4 KIDS – Winter Camps
o Indio and Palm Desert Community Centers both offer a variety of activities and entertainment during winter break from school for those 5- 14 years old. 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Session 1: Dec 18 – 22; Session 2: Dec 26 – 29.
- SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
o Winter Movie – Santa Clause 3, The Escape Clause – The movie starts at 6 p.m. in downtown Indio (at Winter Fest 2017) – Saturday, Dec 9
o Winter Music – Sunday Sounds – Enjoy Live holiday music from Coachella Valley musicians at the Palm Desert Community Center from 2 – 4 p.m. Sundays, Dec 3 and Dec 10
- SAFETY FIRST – Bike Safety Rodeo (Bicycle Safety and Raffle) – For children ages 4 – 17, this FREE event teaches safety and tests riding skills. Bring your own bike, helmet, and pads. Bikes will be raffled to participants only. Sat, Dec 16, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Palm Desert Civic Center Park Basketball Courts.
Visit MyRecreationDistrict.com for more information, or visit us at 45-305 Oasis Street in Indio, 760-347-3484
About Desert Recreation District
The Desert Recreation District (DRD) is the largest park and recreation district in California, covering over 1,800 square miles and serving more than 385,000 residents throughout the greater Coachella Valley. DRD manages, maintains and assists in maintaining over 30 parks and recreation facilities; creates and delivers quality programs, services and classes; and, facilitates leisure opportunities through partnerships – this community collaborative approach allows us to provide barrier-free and safe recreational activities. DRD strives to ensure the public receives personal benefits such as physical fitness, relaxation and revitalization; social benefits in the form of stronger and healthier families and enriching the lives for persons with disabilities, and economic benefits through more productive and healthier citizens and increased tourism.